Friday, August 5, 2011

Fantasy Friday: Fantastic Hats

On Fridays I like to discuss fantasy fashions--those beautiful things that I love to look at but will never wear.

Clothing fairy tales.

And in those clothing fairy tales, I wear hats. Of course I wear hats occasionally in real life, but the hats in my fantasy are not just any hats. These hats are suitable for a Countess.

Sophie, Countess of Wessex, to be precise. (She's married to Queen Elizabeth's youngest son, you know.)

My favorite royal hat-wearer.







I love the way she chooses hats in quiet neutral colors but the textures and the shapes of the hats take them over-the-top.

She does wear colorful hats too:




In a few days, I'll post photos of my Real Life Hats for Autumn. But none of them approach Sophie's hats in grandeur. And that's ok. My cats would eat the feathers.

I've been collecting these photos for several months, and I think most of them came from The Mad Hatter blog, which is the best royal hat blog ever.

2 comments:

  1. Great Pictuers, Ruth. I too love madhattery, which I learned of from you! Just to be a picky teacher/old friend, isn't it Sophie? the teahcer megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Megan! I must have been asleep! I was confusing her name's spelling with my favorite fictional character's spelling (The Grand Sophy, by Georgette Heyer)!
    I fixed it. :)

    ReplyDelete